Being the mother of a rough and tumble six year-old boy, I've seen the inside of the emergency room more times than I can count. Even though I don't like it, I've grown accustomed to Carter having stitches and other minor injuries. I've accepted it as a certain part of life. Last night, however, it wasn't Carter who, as usual, would be making yet another trip to the ER. It was my baby, Maggie. When I realized it was her, I actually came unglued. (I know you'll find this hard to believe but I'm not one to let cooler heads prevail in an emergency...that is what my husband is for, well, when he is home, which he wasn't last night. ) It was utter chaos. I'm holding Maggie, who is squirming and crying with blood running down her chin(she wouldn't let me look at it, let alone touch it), and yelling so loud at the kids, I'm sure the neighbors could hear, to get their shoes on and get in the car(I felt bad about that later). I drove like a NASCAR driver at Daytona(you can thank Kurtis for the analogy..It's his new thing) to the hospital, where we began the usual waiting game. Thankfully, it wasn't busy and it only took us an hour to see the doctor. Maggie bit clear through her lip in two places but, in the end, she only needed the glue to hold it together(if only the doc could have used it on me - to put my nerves back together).
What a day! I can't quite figure out why I was such a complete mess. Like I said, I've experienced it all before. Is it because Maggie is my baby...or a girl? Or maybe because this was her first time in the ER? Well, whatever the reason...I guess I'm going to have to make myself accustomed to the idea of taking more trips to the ER now with Maggie. I think I might find it harder to accept, though.
Feeling a little nostalgic
11 years ago



5 comments:
Oh, poor little Maggie! I would be a little crazy too! How did she do it? I am glad she is okay now. Tell the kids hi and give them my love! I wish you were going to OR for the wedding then I would get to see you guys...its been too long. You guys have always been my favorite! Love you, Brittney
I totally understand that loss of control in a panic. When Keaton was about 3 he almost got hit by a train, and what did I do when I saw it coming? Did I scoop him up and get him out of the way? Oh no, I gathered up his fishing tackle box first! But I think that we get better at this with age and experience. There's still hope.
Ariane, Just break down and buy yourself a sewing kit!! Then you won't have to spend half of your life in the E.R. I should take my own advice. I too am in the E.R all the time. Kinda funny, huh? Don't ya just love kids.........
Love the new look!
I can't imagine having to take my child to the ER. I love the NASCAR analogy. Layne frequently claims that he should have been a NASCAR driver whenever he gets a little over zealous at the wheel. Hope Maggie has recovered well.
Post a Comment